I will not be buying any more bread. This is why:
I'd made a grocery list last night for what I'd need to buy this weekend (three-day weekend, by the way), and I knew I'd need to buy bread because I thought I was pretty close to running out. I was- I used the last slice this morning. This morning I was wondering whether I'd be able to get through till Monday without having bought bread yet, because Monday is the likely date of my shopping trip. Then it hit me: I can MAKE my bread. I was so excited. I came home and made it, then was skipping (literally) around the house. It was white bread, and I made it in an hour (50 minutes of which was rising/baking time, so I could do homework). It was mucho delicioso, everyone in my apartment loved the smell and/or taste of it (only Kendra and Shelby have had any yet). Nicole gave me a lift to Walmart (and Albertson's and Broulim's) and wanted to try a slice and really liked it too. So, from now on, I will be baking my own bread rather than worrying about getting to a store to buy bread that doesn't taste as good anyway, and probably is a lot more expensive.
It seems I'm becoming the baking guru around here, which I think is rather funny. Kendra saw my chocolate chip banana muffins the other day and asked if I'd help her bake some to use up her leftover bananas, so we did that tonight. Yesterday I made flourless peanut butter cookies, and Melanie liked them so much that when she gets home at 10 tonight she wants me to help her make another batch.
Also, just as a side note, I'm in print. I saw Laurie today at the cashier's office when I withdrew some money from my personal account, and she said I was in the Standard about devotional (which wasn't a surprise since I did get interviewed), and she gave me a copy of that issue. I'm hanging on to it, though I may not put it up here because I don't know if that would be copyright infringement or not (input?)
The bread sounds yummy. Of course, if you give all your slices away it might not last as long as store-bought bread. . . .
ReplyDeleteOn the article, did you want to just quote from it (which should be fine)? Or did you want to post an image of the whole thing?
ReplyDeleteI was originally thinking of taking a picture of it and posting it on here, but obviously that wouldn't work, so I'll just save the paper. Yes, you are very correct in that it doesn't last as long (the first loaf, at least). But I am now the official apartment bread baker (made two loaves today), being supplied with flour by my roommates, so I'm not wasting money or anything :)
ReplyDeleteHi Antonia! I'm impressed! You know what your success in baking reminds me of? Your mother (you may not like the comparison, of course, but it's rather funny). When she was in Russia(and not living at home for the first time, like you), she started cooking and baking and doing all those things she never would have done at home. You'll have to ask her about it some time, I seem to remember some very interesting stories about baking cakes in a frying pan and other inventive stuff (because they didn't have any of the usual implements). Must run in the family... Love, Petra :)
ReplyDeletePetra- I don't mind the comparison, but no I didn't know that! I also understand the having-to be-inventive-part; I bake my bread on cookie sheets :)
ReplyDeleteI'd like the recipe for the chocolate banana muffins if you would be so kind! Yummy! :)
ReplyDelete