Monday, January 18, 2010
Playing with fire
A week ago Sunday we were all over at Oma and Opa's house for dinner. Ralph is now sitting next to me in Antonia's space, so Oma can join us at the table in Ralph's old space. I was moving my legs around trying to find a comfortable position (since Ralph seems to take up a little more space than Antonia did), and I must have jiggled the table, because suddenly the big candle in the middle of the table fell over with a big thud. It was sitting on a wobbly three-legged candleholder. It was not lit itself, but it had a small tea light inside which was lit. When it fell over, the tea light was ejected and landed right in my lap, on my paper napkin. Luckily for my lap, it landed right side up, so I didn't end up with a napkin on fire. It even stayed lit, so we could put it back where it came from. Other than some wax on the placemat and on the tablecloth, nothing bad happened, other than my heart stopping for a moment or two. It's not very often that you end up with a lighted candle sitting in your lap. . . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like a close call- I'm glad you didn't burn the house (or yourself!) down.
ReplyDeleteThat is a great story. Sounds like it's time for Opa to get a fire extinguisher for the kitchen in case that happens again ;)
ReplyDelete